Pine Siskins

  • Ann Knutson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2005
      It was interesting to read Linda Reser's posting about the increased number
      of Pine Siskins that she is seeing along the Crystal River. I am having
      the same experience north of Cedaredge. After not seeing any Pine Siskins
      for the last two years, our thistle feeders are now totally dominated by
      several dozen of the little critters and the Gold Finches seem to have
      completely gone away. Is their behavior always so erratic?

      We also had a male Black Headed Grosbeak at the feeders yesterday.

      Ann Knutson
      Cedaredge
    • Andrea Robinsong
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
        All 100+ of them have vanished from my place. They never showed up
        yesterday and it's quiet again today.
        In addition to having a propensity for banging into windows, they were
        remarkably tame...some would stay perched on thistle seed feeders while
        I filled them up.
        I was interested and relieved when I noticed that the PISIs mostly
        stopped hitting the windows after they got to know the terrain.

        Have others who have had a marauding mob of PISIs at their feeders seen
        them leave?

        happy new year,

        andrea robinsong
        hotchkiss

        ps hope to see you all here for the hotchkiss count on Sat.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
        • a z
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013
            We are still getting Pine Siskin visits to our feeder as of this morning.  How long will they stay?

            Dave Trappett
            Grand Junction
          • Larry Arnold
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2013

            Hi Dave!  We had a few stay all summer (some years).

            Attached spreadsheet isn’t current, but you get the idea..

            Birds not shown in the last (summation) column were unconfirmed, considered hypothetical on our yard list

            Larry Arnold

            Boise ID