Diurnal Barn Owl

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2007
      At 9:00 AM I watched a female Barn Owl for several
      minutes about a two miles southeast of Nucla. She was
      flying low over a cattail marsh and would plunge into
      the vegetation every minute or so. I assume she was
      after mice or birds. She never came up with anything
      to eat. Then she would sit on a fence post for a few
      minutes resting. Soon she would return to the hunt.
      When I left an American Crow was giving her a hard
      time.
      I have never seen Barn Owls hunt during the day.
      Several birders have reported Barn Owls out of their
      holes this winter during the daylight hours. Do you
      suppose that this cold winter and snow have made it
      difficult for these owls to find food? A couple of
      days ago we had 7 1/2 inches of snow and the ground is
      still covered. Night time temps have been in single
      digits.
      I was not aware until this winter that we have Barn
      Owls around Nucla. This is the second owl. The other
      owl was two miles west of town.

      After Ron reported Sage Sparrows in the Grand Valley
      on 28 Feb, I thought I had better check Dry Creek
      Basin sagebrush for the sparrow. Yes, they were there
      today. Several Feb records now exits for this sparrow
      and a couple of winter records. The first migrant
      record is 25 Feb 1996. Maybe we can proclaim this
      migrant to be our earliest spring passerine.

      I kept track of hawks today and a few other birds.
      Bald Eagle 9
      Northern Harrier 2
      Red-tailed Hawk 9
      Rough-legged Hawk 2
      Golden Eagle 1
      American Kestral 1
      Barn Owl 1
      Loggerhead Shrike 1

      I also saw a River Otter in the Dolores River three
      miles above Bradford Bridge. Nearby a Racoon was
      catching crayfish also in the river.
      Good day to be out.
      Coen

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.