Parachute herons

  • Len Newton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13 5:19 PM
      I happen to catch one flying into the heronry on Saturday. I went back Sunday and counted 3 adults on 2 nests. Not sure when their first apperance was, afraid the general timeframe snuck up on me and I hadn't been paying attention. Last year I noted them on Feb. 4th, which was by far the earliest I had seen them in the 5 previous years. This year's Feb. 10 date is the second earliest I've documented them by 2 weeks. hmmm, interesting.
      Nice to have them back.

      On another note, the Osprey nest in Cottonwood Park (by the river near the new high school) is gone. I can only guess the town had it removed, there is no sign of it and it had gotten quite large after being used a 2nd year last year. It was incredible that they had nested there, on top of the pole next to the lights between two ball fields. I watched them many times fly in and out feeding their young with dozens of kids running and screaming just below. Seems a shame they overcame all that and won't be welcomed back. Wonder if there's any way of getting an alternate roosting platform erected?