Re: [wsbn] Tumacanbac plus other goodies

  • Len Newton
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2007
      I wonder if anything can be done to stop the Rest Area people from promoting the feral cat population? It troubles me to see all those cats running around such prime bird habitat. The DOW has chosen this as a suitable watchable wildlife spot yet a recent walk revealed several plastic containers being used to feed the wild cats. Just across from the Visitor center I saw 2 or 3 of them, looked like litter boxes, next to the accessible fishing spot and 4 or 5 cats, 2 of which were stalking the edge of the wonderful cattail marsh where many blackbirds, including Yellow-headed, nest.
      k h <kendall@...> wrote:
      At the Rifle river park last year there were great horned owls in a Magpie nest right next to the road by the visitor center and the owl had 2 babies.
      A couple weeks ago we went and looked around there and in another Magpie nest we saw a cat!   Kendall

      On 2/10/07 9:19 PM, "Bill/Cheryl Day" <billday@paonia. com> wrote:

      Jason - that is really amazing, the western screech-owl in the magpie
      nest. Bill and I check every old magpie nest in habitat that could
      support long-eared owls, and I can't imagine finding a screech owl in there.

      Our secondary cavity nesters are obviously having a tough time. Time for
       Dick Churchley to make up several more of the fine screech-owl boxes
      to hang.

      Cheryl Day
      Hotchkiss

      Jason Beason wrote:

      > Today (2/10) on the Grand Valley Audubon Society's Tumacanbac Raptor
      > field trip ten species of raptors were seen. This is the 20th year that
      > this count has take place in the desert, subdivisions, and agricultural
      > areas north and west of Grand Junction (Mesa Co). Other groups will
      > drive the same route searching for raptors tomorrow and then next
      > Saturday and Sunday (2/17 & 18) also. The weather was perfect and it was
      > very nice to take off that old winter coat!
      >
      > Here is the list:
      > Bald Eagle - 9 (6 adult, 1 unclassified immature, and 2 juvenile)
      > Northern Harrier - 2
      > Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
      > Cooper's Hawk - 1
      > Red-tailed Hawk - 19
      > American Kestrel - 17
      > Merlin - 1
      > Prairie Falcon - 2
      > Western Screech-Owl - 1
      > Great Horned Owl - 3
      >
      > Thanks to everyone that joined us on the count and helped to spot birds.
      >
      > Also, on my way to GJ, I stopped to check a traditional Long-eared Owl
      > breeding location to see if there were any present. I saw no long-eared
      > Owls but I did see a Western Screech-Owl in an old magpie nest. I am
      > curious if anyone else has ever seen a screech-owl roosting in an magpie
      > nest? On my way home I stopped at Confluence Park (Delta, Delta Co) and
      > saw 7 Barrow's Goldeneyes (2 adult male and 5 female).
      >
      > Jason Beason
      > Paonia

      Get your own web address.