Confluence Park and the Gunnison River 12-16

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2007
      After making it down my driveway intact, the dog and I went to Delta.
      We visited Confluence Park around 11:30am. It was 16 degrees but we had
      the entire park to ourselves.
      There wasn't any wind so it was really quite gorgeous.
      Jason's Greater White-fronted Geese were there, right by the shore, so I
      had wonderful long looks at them. They really are beautiful creatures.
      The ducks were mainly canvasbacks [maybe 30] with a few green-winged
      teal, common mergansers, and the large horde of fake ducks.
      [I saw a woman come up with 2 buckets of feed and put it out on the
      shore. The fake ducks and geese ran up to the food while the migrating
      birds did not. However, the once wild coots of Confluence Park out
      waddled all the hybrids to get to the food.]
      There were many Canada geese. I only saw one great blue heron, and no
      pie-billed grebes, which I had seen on my last visit.
      A dozen snow geese flew in as I was leaving.
      The trails produced some yellow-rumps, many robins, several marsh wrens,
      several song sparrows and not much else...but I wasn't hanging out and
      pishing my patooty off. BRRRRRR
      I had one tantalizing look at a tiny short-tailed silent wren....not
      long enough, though.
      I hit paydirt in numbers when I checked out the Hwy 50 Gunnison River
      Bridge.
      I would compare the total number of ducks hanging there to the numbers
      you see at the Clifton sewer ponds...and a pretty good mix of duck species:
      lesser scaup 3
      canvasback 60
      mallard 10
      ring-necked duck 30
      wigeon 10
      gadwall 4
      redhead 24
      common goldeneye 2
      hooded merganser 2
      common merg 6
      pintail 4

      Also there:
      the juvie double-crested cormorant is still there, looking good,...and
      very big.
      kingfishers
      KILDEER
      Western Bluebirds [no Mtn. BBs!]
      and many many Canada geese

      When I looked downstream I could see a flock of maybe a dozen [common?]
      goldeneye in an eddy where they have wintered in the past.

      Beautiful day!!!!
      Andrea Robinsong, Hotchkiss