a few Montezuma County bird observations

  • Dean and Mona Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2006
      Yesterday and today we included a little bird watching with our
      seasonal shopping. A few birds of note include
      (Saturday 12/9/06)
      ---a male and female Barrow's Goldeneye on McPhee Reservoir, seen
      from the Fisherman's Access off 184
      ---mixed flocks on Redheads and Ring-necked Ducks anywhere there is open water
      ---at least a dozen Pied-billed Grebes in the limited open water at
      Totten Reservoir
      ---a female-type Northern Harrier eating a dead waterfowl on the ice
      at Totten Reservoir
      ---increasing numbers of Canada Geese, which have been few so far this fall
      (Sunday 12/10/06)
      ---about a dozen Hooded Mergansers on the private pond at H.6 road
      south of Cortez
      ---a few Northern Shovelers at Denny Lake in Cortez with the more
      common ducks and coots
      ---a Merlin in the Cortez Cemetery

      Otherwise, we have noted that numbers of Common Mergansers have
      seemed low all fall. Narraguinnep and McPhee are almost completely
      open water; Totten is largely frozen. Industrial Pond was completely
      frozen this week.

      Mona and Dean Hill
      Lewis, Montezuma County, CO