Trumpeter Swans Garfield, White-winged Scoter Mesa

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2006
      Hi folks,

      Tom McConnell, Al Levantin and I birded along the Colorado River Valley on this gorgeous sunny day.

      First up we stopped in Rifle (Garfield Co) to look for the 2 swans reported by Kim Potter on the Colorado River first seen about a week ago.  We found them from hwy 6, about 1/2mile upriver of the hwy13 road bridge at the east end of Rifle - and identified them as TRUMPETER SWANS.

      Continuing west, we spent much of the rest of the day around Clifton and Grand Junction (Mesa Co), with highlights including:

      HARRIS'S SPARROW Connected Lakes SP, along with WHITE-THROATED SPARROW, and HERMIT THRUSH.. all birds about 250yards along the paved bike trail that runs SE from the entrance gate, in the thicket by the wooden marker 1.13  On the pond along the entrance road there were several HOODED MERGANSERS, and nearby a covey of SCALED QUAIL.

      In Clifton the WHITE-WINGED SCOTER was still at the water treatment ponds on east side of 32 road, just north of the Colorado River, along with several  CANVASBACKS.

      Along the Colorado River whilst enroute today we saw 7 BALD EAGLES.

      Thanks to Kim Potter and Larry Arnold for their prior reports.

      Dick Filby
      Carbondale

    • Tom & Kay McConnell
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2006

        While I would like to see a Scaled Quail in Mesa County , Dick really means Gambel’s Quail.  Perhaps birding with “older” folks like Al & I has given him the memory lapses that we know as “Senior Moments”.  He does report correctly that it was a great day to be out birding!

        Tom