cranes

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 7, 2006
      Ahhhhhhhh. O.K., Evie, there really is a santa!
      As you know, I have been checking the fields where the wintering Delta
      cranes have roosted in the past years, but had not found them.
      During daylight hours I have also been checking the fields where they
      have fed in the past, but hadn't stumbled upon them.
      Until last night!
      On the way home from a quick run to see the white-winged scoter in
      Clifton, I drove by the roosting fields and there they were!!!
      A very quick count put the number of individuals at roughly 110 birds.
      Past winters' counts have all been approx. 110-120 cranes on the
      roosting grounds.
      andrea robinsong
    • harriet stephens
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 9, 2010
        on Sunday, I saw and heard a flock of about 40 sandhill cranes over Fruita
        heading WNW.
      • Robin Nicholoff
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 15, 2010
          First cranes I heard over Sunshine Mesa, Hotchkiss were 10/6 then again 10/8. 10/12 about a hundred flew over. 10/13 about 400 in 3 flocks.

          Yard birds: starting 2 weeks ago we had a flock of cedar wax wings hanging around for about 10 days consuming a big hatch of those tiny flying insects with the lavender-colored cottony attachments. The waxwings were joined by several ruby-crowned kinglets and yellow-rumps. First juncos showed up about 4 days ago. A pair of White-breasted Nuthatches have been around for weeks, along with the usual suspects. More Red Tail activity lately.

          Good birding,

          Robin Nicholoff
          Hotchkiss
        • Andrea Robinsong
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 6, 2011
            Evie, it's 2:30 wed.. Do you know where your cranes are? A few of them
            are here..flying low over my place. Yesterday I was out at Crawford
            State Park and heard a substantial flock flying to the east of the park
            at around noon.

            Other than the cranes, Crawford was disappointing...the lake is totally
            ringed with wet mud but only the mandatory single avocet was there.

            andrea robinsong
            hotchkiss
          • JoAnn Potter Riggle
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2012
              Between 10:30 and 11:00 this morning a flock of between 25 and 30 cranes few up Brush Creek Valley south of Eagle.

              JoAnn Potter Riggle
            • Bob Bradley
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2013
                Evey, there were 70-75 cranes over Grand Junction just before 5pm today They were milling around, heading mostly to the east.

                Bob Bradley
              • inthecompanyofnature
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2013
                  Just now at 5:55 several (have no idea how many as it is dark) flew very low over my house (north Grand Junction), so loud I could hear them inside the house.
                  Wende Pomrenke