Re: [wsbn] Rosy Finches

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2006

      en route to see Linda's rosy-finches yesterday, I found a flock of 300-400 along U.S. 50 at Blue Mesa Res (moving around between mile markers 140 and 141), nearly all grays with a few browns, no blacks.  at Linda's I found part of her flock, ca. 25 browns and one black.  thanks for sharing your winter birds, Linda.  hey, *great* sign you have posted in your front yard, Amen!   =)

      the roads to and from Crested Butte were "interesting" and I think those were the coldest temperatures my 4Runner has ever experienced, colder than the -22F we had during our year living in Anchorage.

      and... thank you Dave G. for again sharing your owls and golden-crowned sparrow yesterday afternoon!

      back at the ranch...  we had a huge starling ball pillaging/plundering/sacking our back yard, a little too close and personal!  we are trying to conserve our russian olives and juniper berries for waxwings, don't they know nothing?

      Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 6:39 PM
      Subject: [wsbn] Rosy Finches

      Yesterday we put out seed and 7 Brown-capped Rosy Finches were among
      the group eating...This morning I put out seed and saw the familiar
      flight pattern of a large Rosy flock.We had about 80 mostly
      Brown-capped. several Grey-crowned and a single Black Rosy. Those of
      you that have followed my posts know how happy and grateful we are to
      share our winters with these beautiful birds. They delight us, we
      photograph them and feel responsible for feeding them often.
      Last year they were with us till mid may, in flocks of sometimes up to
      1000.
      So if you are in the area come visit and bring some seed.
      Linda Powers
      Crested Butte

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 2006
        Most winters a flock of Rosy-Finches can be found in
        Unaweep Canyon along CO-141. At mile marker 127 a
        large group of 210 Black Rosy-Finches have been
        hanging out feeding along a road cut again this year.
        At times they will sit on the powerlines and it is
        possible to count them with a high degree of accuracy.
        Mixed in the flock are about 10 Gray-crowned
        Rosy-Finches and all seem to be of the Hepburn's Race.
        These finches have nearly a total gray head and are
        consided the coastal form.
        I have been checking the Nucla Sewer Ponds lately on a
        regular basis. There is little other open water
        except for the river and springs. Ducks are still
        migrating through the area. Water to the north must
        be freezing out. Last evening two Redheads made an
        appearence along with about 50 Ring-necked Ducks.
        There has been as many as 93 Common Goldeneyes on the
        ponds at one time. About 80 American Wigeons are also
        present.
        Nucla Bird News,
        Coen and Brenda

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Linda Powers
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2007
          Snow finally came to Crested Butte this morning. My average flock of
          Rosies rose from 200 to about 600. The place is alive with birds. I
          have been looking at old records
          1.I have more finches now than in past years
          2.I have fewer species of other birds visit my feeders, I think
          hundreds of finches just crowd out single Chicadees by example
          3.Different flocks come and go. Sometimes I see nary a Grey or Black,
          sometimes several to quite a few. Mostly I get the Brown-Capped
          .
          4.These birds are remarkably unafraid of humans. I can stand on my
          porch while they eat from the feeders 2 feet away
          Happy Birding
          Linda Powers
          Crested Butte

          As an aside we just returned from a birding trip to The SF bay area.
          What fun! For me 11 new species, I know I have not birded that area
          much. Varied Thrushes were everywhere. the Pt. Reyes Xmas bird count
          had them at record numbers this year. An awesome encounter with a
          White-tailed Kite and a lone Brandt on the Monterey coast were
          highlights...

          '
        • Linda Powers
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2007
            With the seasonally warm weather the Rosies have been scarce.
            Nov. 15 1 Brown-capped appeared at the feeder.
            2 days later 3 were in attendance. Last night we got 1-2 inches of
            snow...
            This morning 50 Brown-capped arrived. None were banded ans no grey....
            Thanks Tyler. I also saw the Taylor Res. Pacific Loons and Barrows
            Goldeneye and a large distant raft of Scaup and Eared-grebe.
            Happy Thanksgiving
            Linda Powers
            Crested Butte
          • Linda Powers
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
              Finches were back this morning as it was snowing. Today we had about
              300, with several Black, about 10% Grey-crowned and the rest Brown
              capped. They flew in in that characterstic Rosy flock fashion, with
              their wonderful high pitched peeps and their great appetites.
              The Stellars and Chickadees are not happy to see them but we were.
              We have named our house "the Rosy Finch House" and rightly so. We are
              short term renting it as it is such a great new house and hopefully it
              will fund our birding trips away.
              Those wishing to see the birds we are in CB at the corner of 4th and
              Whiterock with the sigh Rosy Finch House. As we are surrounded by
              mature Cottonwood trees the birds are there.
              You can email me for additional info
              Linda Powers
              Crested Butte
            • Linda Powers
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2009
                Goodmorning from snowy Crested Butte

                We were on a birding trip through northern New Mexico and have returned.
                It took the Finches 1 day but they are back to the feeders. We
                currently have a mixed flock of perhaps 200 75% Brown-capped and 25%
                Grey-crowned and Hepburns.

                While in NM we visited Sandia Crest and saw some cousins at the feeder
                at the top.
                We also visited some very remote lakes and saw great birds and no
                other birders. All the rest of the birders were at the spectacular
                Bosque which was amazing.

                Linda Powers
                Crested Butte
              • Forrest Luke
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 13, 2012

                  I ran across a flock of 300+ rosy finches south of Craig on Trapper Mine reclaimed lands. All three species were represented with more than 90% graycrowns and the other 10% made up of blacks and browncaps.

                  I’m still looking for redpolls though.

                  Forrest Luke