Pinyon Jays

  • Ann Knutson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006
      About 9am this morning, a flock of at least 2 dozen "jays" flew into the
      cedars and onto the feeders on my west deck. They were a soft gray color,
      with blue on the head, and had a long straight bill. I took several rather
      poor photographs through the glass door and sent them to my very
      knowledgeable birding friend, Dale Peterson, in Denver.
      He determined that they were Pinyon Jays. I have lived here for six years
      and this is the first time I have seen them at my feeders. Are they very
      common in this area and do they always travel in large flocks? They were
      only around for about 5 minutes, but they were fun to see.

      Ann Knutson
      2 miles north of Cedaredge