Taking a stand for the environment does pay off.

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      Like many of you I have burst into tears every time I've thought of the
      sightings of the Lord God Bird since the awesome announcement was made.
      This article is about the main reason why...HOPE!
      What it means to me is that there are still natural wild woods left in
      this incredible country big enough to shelter and hide a huge animal
      that has been hunted for over 60 years by everyone from our best
      scientists to ?
      Here is the very inspiratrion we as activists have needed so badly in
      these terrible times of habitat loss and desecration.....we have
      something worth fighting for and we can make a difference!!!!!!
      Right here in the North Fork area of the GMUG the largest still unroaded
      mid-elevation biologically rich public lands are in desperate need of
      protection. Methane is in the air.
      Bill and Cheyl Day have been monitoring birds of this slated- for-
      extinction essentail habitat. I'm sure there's plenty of data
      collection that still needs to be done.
      Why not contact Bill at <bday@...> and volunteer to help if you're a
      birder or botanist or a general data freak.
      For those of us who have joined Public Lands Committees, etc THANK YOU
      and here's the best reason I can think of the keep up the good work.
      Andrea Robinsong, Hotchkiss

      How the Ivory-billed dodged the bullet

      The following is some information that shows just how close the
      WP came to losing the habitat that ultimately has been shown to be crucial
      to the Lord God bird. With this history in mind, that nickname takes on a
      whole other meaning.

      In the early 1970s, one of Arkansas' foremost environmental crusades began,
      the fight to save 232 miles of the Cache River and its tributary, Bayou
      DeView, from being channelized. The Cache meanders through northeast
      Arkansas from the Missouri boot heel to the White River at Clarendon. Bayou
      de View parallels the Cache about eight miles to the east for much of its
      length. Together they are the winter resting place for an estimated 800,000
      migrating ducks.

      A plan to straighten and deepen the streams to improve the drainage of
      surrounding lands was proposed as early as the 1920s. After soybean prices
      soared in the 1960s, U.S. representative Bill Alexander (Democrat of
      Arkansas) got Congress to allocate $60 million for the work.

      As attorney for a group of environmentalists, Richard S. Arnold filed suit
      in federal court, challenging the adequacy of the U.S. Army Corps of
      Engineers' twelve page Environmental Impact Statement on the project. After
      District Judge J. Smith Henley ruled for the Corps, it began dredging the
      Cache near Clarendon even though the case had been appealed to the U.S.
      Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and Governor Dale Bumpers had asked for a

      "I couldn't stand by and watch a bureaucratic federal agency thumb its nose
      at Arkansas," Rex Hancock said, explaining why he single-handedly organized
      the Citizens Committee to Save the Cache River Basin in October 1972. The
      committee eventually included thirty-five national organizations and eight
      states (including MN) in the Mississippi Flyway.

      The battle raged until Congress cut off funds in 1978 after a U.S. Fish and
      Wildlife Service (USF&WS) study called the plan "the single most damaging
      project to waterfowl in the nation," and the Environmental Protection
      refused to grant a necessary permit to the Corps in 1979. In 1980 the
      announced plans for a thirty-five-thousand-acre Cache River Wildlife
      which has since been established. Only seven-plus miles of the Cache River
      near Clarendon ever were "ditched."

      Moral of the story: Taking a stand for the environment does pay off.
      Moral #2 from Ed P--One person can make a difference!

      John Schladweiler New Ulm

      John Schladweiler MN Dept. of Natural Resources Asst. Regional Wildlife
      Manager 261 Hwy 15 S New Ulm, MN 56073 john.schladweiler@...
      list mnbird@...