Re: [wsbn] energy development

  • Ron Lambeth
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 12, 2006
      Okay Larry (and Kathy),

      I don't know about this.  I'll check the website AFTER commenting.  It looks like the well spacing is a little more dense than 16 per section (square mile).  This is, 1 well per 40 acres plus some areas more densely drilled.  If you estimate about 3 acres per well for the well pad & roads (assume the pipelines will be rehabilitated promptly or put under roads) you get the figure of 7.5 percent of the land remaining unvegetated for a few decades.  But, since all of the wells won't be producers we could say the percent of land remaining unvegetated might be half that, say, 3.75.  Of course, removing the vegetation and immediately letting it go back to vegetative cover is not without its consequences.  All of the wells won't be drilled at once so you need to factor in the field development time, which could be anybody's guess, but mmmm, 20 years seems reasonable to me.  The percent of the land that is already disturbed, the old scars, the existing roads, etc. need to be calculated too.  Let's say that north of Craig there is an average of 1.75 miles of road per square mile and the roads average about 30 feet wide of disturbed ground, which means that there is already 63.6 acres of disturbed ground per section (10 percent).  If we say that 25 percent of the existing disturbance will be useable in the field development, then we can estimate that 2.8125 percent of 160,000 acres (4,500 acres) will remain unvegetated for a few decades due to the field development.  It'll be interesting to see what the BLM comes up with.  Anyway look at it this way.  Suppose only 3.75 percent of your face has little zits covering it, but that 3.75 percent is distributed more or less evenly across your face.  How noticeable would your problem be?  With an active well on every 80 acres each one being visited once a week by a person driving a pickup truck, what impact do you suppose that will have on deer and elk on those 80 acres?  With the new roads, the public use across the land will increase also.  The deer will adjust somewhat to the traffic.  You should consider the impact of waste water reserve pits and heater-treater vertical pipes, both of which can trap and kill wildlife.  This can be minimized if BLM and citizen watchers are on top of placing the right stipulations upon the O&G developers.  The biggest issue north of Craig, I would think, will revolve around the Greater Sage-grouse.  Can they persist with that much sagebrush habitat intrusion (fragmentation by un-natural intrusions).  Will West-Nile virus be a bigger problem with mosquitos coming from the reserve pits?  Can the "Guidelines Manage Sage Grouse Populations and Their Habitats" be followed? The bottom line:  Nobody has published a thorough study on the effect on the biological community of a sizeable O&G field development; amazing as that may seem.  There are a number of environmental assessments made before fields are developed, but there never is a complete follow-up monitoring to check how good the EA was.  Some things are monitored, vegetation recovery, for example, but most items mentioned in an EA are not followed quantitatively.  In Mesa County right now it is the surface and ground water issues that seem to get the attention of the decision-makers.  Its citizens taking an interest that assures the best possible outcomes.
      Ron

      larry arnold <larnold47@...> wrote:

      ha!  another environmental impasse statement is brewing!!

      I had to say that before Ron did!   =)

      LA