9128Birds of the pines 10 miles north of Nucla this AM

    Aug 11, 2014
      Greetings,
      As other birders have been doing we decided to check out migration in the ponderosa pines north of town. Did locate one large flock of migrants moving through the pines. Present were Northern Flicker, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Western Wood-Pewee, Dusky Flycatcher, Plumbeous Vireo, Mountain Chickadee, all three nuthatch species, Brown Creeper, Western and Mountain Bluebirds, American Robin, Virginia's Warbler, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Gracie's Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Western Tanager and Chipping Sparrows. Elevation is 7800 feet. Found a dead Common Poorwill on the road.
      Three of us are head to Pagosa Springs for a few days to do some fall migration birding in Archuleta, La Plata, Mineral and Hinsdale counties. We have never birded there in the fall migration so should turn up a lot of unexpected birds at this time of year.
      Keep you posted,
      Coen and Brenda