      Sent from Windows Mail

      From: 'Jacob C. Cooper' black.hawk.birder@... [wsbn]
      Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎August‎ ‎10‎, ‎2014 ‎8‎:‎07‎ ‎PM
      To: Western Slope Birding Network

      Hi all,

      Since I was in Grand Junction for the weekend, I contacted Jackson Trappett and we headed up to Pinyon Mesa this morning to see what we could find. After trolling the sage flats of 5.7 road, we headed to Fruita Reservoir #2. There, we got great views of Dusky Flycatcher, MacGillivray's Warbler, Red-naped Sapsucker and Sharp-shinned Hawk.

      As the morning progressed, we were surprised to hear Purple Martins calling overhead. We headed to a good vantage point over the lake, and were shocked to witness an incoming flock of Purple Martins. We counted 18 martins in view at once as they foraged over the aspens and drank from the lake in front of us. They soon disappeared to the south, but we heard one or two high birds calling sporadically for the rest of the morning.

      After the excitement of the martins passed, we were greeted by a group of four Common Nighthawks. Remembering how many martins appeared earlier, we again made our way to a good vantage point over the lake. A tight flock of Common Nighthawks flew in from the northwest and circled over the basin before disappearing to the east. We counted 54 in view at once, but easily could have missed many more migrants passing through the area.

      After leaving Fruita Reservoir, we stopped by Mud Springs Campground to see what else we could find. There were large numbers of White-breasted Nuthatches in the area, and a pair of Black-throated Gray Warblers were nice to see.

      Overall, it was a great morning in the high country, and a good start to migration!

      Good birding,

      --
      Jacob C. Cooper
      Graduate Student, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology