8861Ouray County

  • kent nelson
    May 3, 2014
      Hello, all,

      Sue Hirshman and I decided to use the nice weather to see if we could find a few birds everyone else has been seeing.  We started at R'way Reservoir, where there were two White-faced Ibis, two Long-billed Dowitchers, four Franklin's Gulls, and a Willet. There were also a few ducks, including G-w Teal, Blue-w Teal (yesterday), and Cinnamon Teal, maybe 50 Western Grebes and 12 C. Mergansers. Plus Chipping, Vesper, and Song Sparrows, and Western Kingbird.
         On the way north, we saw an Osprey sitting beside a deserted Red-tail's nest, and there were 17 herons on about 20 nests at the rookery east of the dam.
         At Billy Creek Bridge, we found two Black Phoebes and the Dipper family already raising young. Farther up the road we had House Wren, Green-tailed Towhee, Rough-winged Swallow, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow-rumped and Orange-crowned Warblers.
         Below the dam was our third stop, where there were several Red-naped Sapsuckers, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and another Osprey.
         We had a few other birds, too, of course (three jay species, more swallows, etc.)
         In all a pretty good day.

      Kent Nelson
      Ouray
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic