8722Nineteen Common Loons and one Violet-green Swallow

    Apr 15, 2014
      Yesterday in Nucla there were nineteen Common Loons, 17 on the City Reservoir and 2 on a large farm pond. At the city reservoir looking through a large flock of swallows, finally I was able to pick out one Violet-green Swallow. On the cliffs overlooking the San Miguel River north of Naturita many White-throated Swifts were feeding on insects but there was not a single VGSW with them. Nearly always, I find the two species together in early spring feeding together.
      Good birding,
      Coen and Brenda