8719Black Phoebes on Audubon Trail

  • leon stigen
    Apr 14, 2014
      Hello Spring birders!!! Well, I will tell you the rare news first. I just got back from a long bike ride and came back on the Audubon trail. Just before I got to the Audubon storage shed, an unusual bird flew in from the east and landed pretty high in a cottonwood tree. I knew instinctively I had something good, but I couldn't figure out what it was at first. I rode up just a little bit closer on my bike and one bird flew across the trail and into the brush by the canal. But the bird I had just spotted flew down onto a lower limb in an adjacent cottonwood and I just got the binoculars on it before it flew down where the other bird went. There was no mistaking this bird-black phoebe, plus I could hear the other bird calling like no flycatcher I usually see around here. The bird in the tree never stopped pumping its tail. If any species of bird is extending its range north, it's got to be the black phoebe! I hope these birds stick around here somewhere close by to nest. They would be a great addition to our local bird population!
         More later, but that's it for now.
         Lee Stigen
         Grand Junction
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic