8510Re: [wsbn] Ouray County

  • Mark Obmascik
    Jan 17, 2014
      Weird. Last year at this time we had, as is typical, dozens of pine grosbeaks and red crossbills every day at our feeders near Fraser (Grand County.) During snowstorms we'd also get hundreds of rosy-finches and a few common redpolls (a neighbor last winter even had a hoary.)

      This year, nada.

      I've been wondering if our feeders are so dead this winter because of our unusually wet summer. Above the snow this winter, we still have jutting out a bumper crop of leftover summer vegetation / seed that may be an alternate food source for some birds that usually rely on feeders.

      Mark Obmascik
      Tabenash, CO

      On Friday, January 17, 2014 5:41 PM, kent nelson <kentsnelson@...> wrote:

      Hello, all,

      There have been almost zero birds at my feeder in Ouray this whole winter, except jays and the occasional Black-capped Chickadee. For the first time in years -- no Evening Grosbeaks (last year I had 70), no Cassin's Finches, no sparrows, no juncos, no goldfinches, no rosy-finches, no siskins. I had one Brown Creeper a couple of days ago, but of course not at the feeder.

      At Ridgway Reservoir today -- 25 Green-winged Teal, two Common Goldeneyes, a few Common Mergansers, two Hooded Mergansers.

      A fair number of raptors on the way to Montrose -- 2 Bald Eagles, 6 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Rough-winged Hawks, 7 Am Kestrels, 1 Golden Eagle.

      At Confluence Park in Delta I was surprised to find a pair of Redheads, one male Hooded Merganser, and two male Wood Ducks, among the other ducks and geese. I don't go there very often, so I don't know what's usual.

      Good birding.

      Kent Nelson
      Ouray

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic