8372Have returned from Cuba

    Nov 21, 2013
      Have returned from Cuba. We were able to find nearly all of the endemics and as well as several other species we have never seen. Cuba is an easy place to travel about and to bird. It is a very large island, however, but the main roads are in good shape.
      The Cubans like Americans very much and there is very little crime to worry about. We saw practically no sign of military or police. We flew directly from Miami to Havana and the trip was set up legally. Our job was to do bird surveys in several National Parks and IBA (Important Bird Areas). Sites were chosen to find and count the endemic and other rare species.

      If any of you would like to know more on how to visit Cuba legally we will share details with you. Shortly, I will have a complete list of the birds we were able to find (38 lifers and about 160 total species). Brenda took many photos of old cars, birds, scenery and Havana.

      Mike, Great job on finding the Black-legged Kittiwake. There has not been one found since 16 November 1991 at Connected Lakes. That bird was photographed. On 21 March 1978, one was reported from Totten Reservoir near Cortez. Along the Colorado River near Moab, Utah a BLKI was found on 26 November 1987 and survived the Utah Record Committee.
      Good birding,
      Brenda and Coen