8335Cattle Egret & Avocets - Delta County

  • Michael Henwood
    Nov 4, 2013
      Started off the morning at a private pond on the north side G50 Road just east of the Escalante SWA (Hamilton Tract) in Delta County. There were 3 American Avocets, a Cattle Egret, and a mix of Long-billed Dowitchers (4) and Wilson's Snipe (13) feeding in the water just off the shore. I then preceded to walk along the river at the Escalante SWA (Hamilton Tract) where I had several flocks of Sandhills Cranes flyover (29 total). Best bird was a tardy Lincoln's Sparrow among a small group of Song Sparrows. The Lincoln's perched near the top of the brush to give me a good look.

      On the way home I stopped at Cheney Reservoir (Mesa County). Best bird was a female Red-breasted Merganser tagging along with 2 female Common Mergansers. Still lots of coots and Ruddy Ducks, but the Canvasbacks have departed.

      Mike Henwood
      Grand Junction
      Mesa County