8324Ridgway Reservoir

    Nov 1, 2013
    Five species of gulls are now present at Ridgway Reservoir in Ouray County; Bonaparte's, 1; Franklin's, 3; Ring-billed, 4; California, 21; and Herring, 1. Also present were 3 Common Loons and a few Western Grebes. Several ducks and coot were at the far end of the reservoir. About 20 Common Mergansers were close enough to be certain of an ID. The Herring Gull is a first winter gull. We watched it fly about to be certain of its identity.

    Attached is the last of the season spreadsheet for migrants. I have highlighted the species last date for the three years, 2011, 2012 and 2013, where I have kept records. I am sure more late dates will be coming in, especially for waterbirds. If there is data for only one or two years I did not highlight the species.
    In Nucla we have had over 10 inches of rain since the 10th of July. Just maybe there is a correlation between wet or dry summers and bird migration in western Colorado. If we are able to keep late fall dates for the next few years maybe a piece of this puzzle can be added.

    If you find corrections let me know. I do not have the last date for Black-chinned Hummingbird.
    We will be gone to Cuba until the18th of Nov.
    Coen and Brenda
  • Show all 8 messages in this topic