8180Loudy-Simpson Fallout

  • Forrest Luke
    Sep 11, 2013

      I love nasty weather in September. The stormy weather over the past few days led this evening to one of the best fall migration fallouts in my 20 years in Craig. Highlights included a fall male Chestnut-sided Warbler, a fem/juv American Redstart, a Northern Waterthrush, a Cassin’s Vireo, a flyover Peregrine Falcon, Townsend’s Warblers (5), Nashville Warbler’s (3) and, just when I thought they were all gone, a single Yellow Warbler.

      Other migrants included Orange-crowned (20), Wilson’s (100+), Yellow-rumped (10) and MacGillivray’s (5) Warblers; Lincoln’s Sparrows (4), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Western Tanagers (4), Cordilleran Flycatcher (2), Hammond’s Flycatcher (1) and unidentified empids (2). Late-ish birds for the Craig area included Lazuli Bunting (1), Black-chinned Hummingbird (1) and Western Kingbird (1). Catbirds, House Wrens and pewees are still hanging around.

      The Chestnut-sided Warbler was kind of an interesting story. I saw the back half of a warbler from below just before getting rained out last evening. All I could see was white under feathering with a distinct rufous wash along the flanks. It then flew before I had a chance to see the head or back. I was unbelievably frustrated because I knew the bird was either a Chestnut-sided or Bay-breasted Warbler. Because the undertail was more white than buff I suspected CS but I couldn’t be sure. Tonight I had about given up on finding it as I was about to get rained out again when I saw a warbler in a tree full of warblers with an unnaturally green back. I zeroed in on that bird and to my relief it turned out to be the Chestnut-sided.

      Cheers,

      Forrest Luke

      Craig