7339Christmas Bird Counts

  • Missy Siders
    Nov 30, 2012
      A Reminder:

      Christmas Bird Counts take place on the following dates and locations:

      Saturday, Dec. 15 -Montrose.
      Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Montrose Public Lands Center parking lot, 2465 South Townsend Avenue. We will bird watch until we get the circle done or run out of daylight.  All data needs to be turned into the leader by the end of the day.  Contact Missy Siders, 970-240-5332 or

      Sunday, Dec. 16 - Delta.
      Meet at 8 a.m. in the Delta City Market parking lot. Bird until we get the circle done, or run out of daylight.  For more information contact Amy Seglund at 970-252-6014 or

      Sunday, Dec. 16 - Gunnison.
      Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Western State College Campus, Hurst Hall, Room 130 to get organized. A chili potluck at 5:30 p.m. completes the day and provides an opportunity to compile the results. Contact Arden Anderson at 970-641-5322 the week before the count with any questions.  All data needs to be turned into the leader by the end of the day or other arrangements must be endorsed by the leader.

      Saturday, Jan. 5 - Hotchkiss.
      Meet at 8 a.m. in the Hotchkiss City Market parking lot to break into groups. For more information and for those who want to meet earlier for observing owls, contact Jason Beason at 970-310-5117 or
      jason.beason@....  Jason would like to hear from everyone that plans on helping with the count, but it isn’t necessary to participate with this group!

      If your home is within the boundaries of a Count Circle, you can stay home and report the birds that visit your feeder.

      Christmas bird counting volunteers should bring warm clothes, snacks and/or lunch, drinks, binoculars, spotting scope and bird books. Maps of the birding areas and checklists of birds will be provided.

      As of this year, there is no charge for participating!

      Please help out if you can!
                   Missy Siders
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic