7192RMBO--Grand Junction Banding Wk.1

  • Amber Carver
    Sep 30, 2012
      The first week of banding in Grand Junction went very well.  The nets are in new locations this year, and it is making a big difference.  We have the nets set up in mature Skunkbrush/Rabbitbrush, and we are catching lots of White-crowned Sparrows.  As a scientist, this makes me happy, because catching more individuals from the same species means that we'll have better data for that species.  Here is a summary for the week.  We caught a total of 79 new individuals from 12 species.  We also caught 3 individuals that were originally banded last year (2 Black-capped Chickadees and 1 Bushtit).

      White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's): 26
      White-crowned Sparrow (unknown): 13
      White-crowned Sparrow (Mountain): 9
      Wilson's Warbler: 10
      American Robin: 9
      Spotted Towhee: 4
      Orange-crowned Warbler: 3
      Bewick's Wren: 1
      Black-capped Chickadee: 1
      Bushtit: 1
      Song Sparrow: 1
      Oregon Dark-eyed Junco: 1

      Don't forget that the public day is this Saturday.  I'll be banding from about 6:30-11:30, so please stop by and check out my sparrows!
      Amber Carver
      Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory