7012Mesa & Delta Counties today

    Jul 19, 2012

      Birders,

      Missy and I opted for cooler climes this morning so up-slope we went.

      Above Collbran at 6400-7700 ft – Purple martins and males of four hummingbird species topped our list at Nic Korte’s place – what a way to start the day!

      Collbran – no sign of this year’s Least flycatcher, and it was significantly quieter bird-wise than it was during previous visits.  I still think that place looks perfect for a cuckoo, but nada today.

      Grand Mesa – a small flock of Ibis caught our attention at the town of Mesa, but a single Band-tailed pigeon just above Powderhorn was our biggest surprise (not an easy find in Mesa County).  On top of Grand Mesa we saw three Gray jays and other species most likely for that elevation.  68*F felt mighty fine as we ate our tofurky sandwiches emboldened with Trader Joe’s wasabi mayo – good geezer food!  ;-)

      Harts Basin – the single Great egret remains, like Forrest’s lingering GREG in Craig.  A small flock of Ibis was hanging out, but that was it.  Lots of mud, but NO shorebirds.

      Home to GJ and 100*F, ouch

      Larry