6622Fw: [wsbn] A new species?

  • Rick Harner
    Apr 6, 2012

    ----- Forwarded Message -----
    From: Rick Harner <rharner970@...>
    To: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison@...>; WSBN <wsbn@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Friday, April 6, 2012 12:10 PM
    Subject: Re: [wsbn] A new species?

    I have seen and have picture of a goose in a previously used great horned owl nest which was formerly a collapsed magpie nest at Chatfield State Park.

    Rick

    From: jimlef@...
    Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 18:55:11 -0600
    Subject: [wsbn] A new species? [2 Attachments]

    [Attachment(s) from Jim Le Fevre included below] Doing some raptor surveys along Loutsenhizer Arroyo between Olathe and
    Montrose I observed something I had never seen before. Surveying along
    the western side of the arroyo, coming to a wall of adobe that protruded
    into the arroyo, I could just make out the ends of some sticks on what
    looked to be a small ledge on an otherwise vertical wall. I couldn't see
    around the wall to glimpse the entirety of what I was sure was a raven
    nest. I would have to go around to the east side to get a good solid
    look. On the eastern side of the arroyo, I relocated the nest and sat
    down on the edge of the arroyo to see who might be home. Now, we have
    all heard of duck hawks and chicken hawks, but has anyone heard of a
    goose hawk? Yep, a goose sitting in a stick nest about 35 feet off the
    ground. What a completely ridiculous and intensely funny sight! So, if
    anyone else has encountered this phenomena, share your story. I am
    curious about other cliff dwelling geese. And always keep your eyes
    wide open for the wonders that you will see! And now the pictures....

    Jim Le Fevre
    Paonia, Colorado

  • Show all 14 messages in this topic