6432Snowy Owl and other RBA birds, Jan 30 - Feb 01

    Feb 2, 2012

      Missy and I could wait no longer, so we rumbled over the Divide with hopes of seeing one of those mythical and majestic creatures, Nyctea scandiaca, and we weren’t disappointed!  Along Harvest Rd we enjoyed great looks at one each adult and subadult SNOWY OWL.  What a bonus to see and compare their plumages!

      We then chased a few other Front Range RBA birds, missed some and found some.  Our biggest miss (apparently by a few minutes) was the Iceland Gull.  Our favorite encounters included:

      Long-tailed duck – Duck Lake, Denver City Park, interesting location, eh?

      Horned grebe and Western grebe – Pueblo Res (in 14 years of looking, I haven’t had a West Slope encounter with either of these grebes at this time of year)

      Mew gull – Pueblo Res

      Great black-backed gull – Pueblo Res - During a brief flight of the “tire gulls” around the marina, this bird truly stood out as a monster.  Like WOW!!!

      Black phoebe – Pueblo Nature Center, trail westward

      Canyon towhee – 6 birds literally at our feet while scoping the “tire gulls” at the south marina of Pueblo Res

      Golden-crowned sparrow – Red Rocks Trading Post

      Gray-crowned rosy-finch – one bird at Divide - isn’t “one rosy-finch” an oxymoron?

      Sent by smoke signals...

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic