6400RE: [wsbn] Re: Owl vs. hawk

  • Potter, Kim M -FS
    Jan 12, 2012

      I've seen several territories over the years that Red-tailed Hawks and Great-horned Owls share.  The hawks build a nest on their territory and the owls takes it over early in the next year.  Maybe that's why they have more than one nest.  I can think of at least 5 locations where Red-tailed Hawks share territories with Great-horned Owls for many years, often alternating nests.

      Cheers

              Kim M. Potter

             Wildlife Technician

      White River National Forest