6397Owl vs. hawk

  • Bryan Gieszl
    Jan 11, 2012
      We have been lucky enough over the last couple of years to have a pair of Red-tailed Hawks nesting in our backyard.  They have a favorite perch next to the nest in a dead Cottonwood.  Most nights for the last couple weeks there has been a pair of Great Horned Owls calling in our yard, and a couple nights ago I saw one of them calling from the same branch the hawks like to perch on.  When I woke up in the morning, the hawk was perched right where the owl was.  We are hoping the owls will nest as well but are not sure if they will nest in such proximity.  Does anyone know if they might nest in such proximity to each other or how this might turn out?  Who wins in a competition between these two, or do they ignore/avoid each other due to day/night activity?  Also, when might we expect the owls to start building a nest if that would become their plan?  And lastly, I have been planning to put up some screech owl nest boxes, but will they be used with other predators nesting nearby?

      We are really enjoying the owls and hope they stay and I appreciate any answers anyone can provide for me.

      Bryan Gieszl
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic