6266Re: [wsbn] Miramonte and goldeneyes

  • Shep & Mary Harris
    Nov 29, 2011
      Thanks Coen,
      This is very interesting. What do we know about the Common Goldeneyes that we are seeing now and in the spring?
      Mary Harris

      On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Brenda Wright <coenbrenda@...> wrote:

      The three male goldeneyes in the four photos were two Common and one unknown.  The unknown could be a first winter Common Goldeneye but I am not sure.  The duck had a head shaped more like a Barrow's and the color of the head was not like the other two goldeneyes.  The white spot on the face did not match what I have seen on adult Barrow's Goldeneyes.  I have not studied first year male Barrow's.  Could it be that this duck is a hybrid?  I am not sure.
      It is generally thought that our western Colorado Barrow's Goldeneyes are resident ducks.  Most nest on the Flat Tops and winter in the surrounding valleys.  Winter counts are highest in the counties near the Flat Tops.  There are few records away from those adjacent counties.  Delta County only resently has had winter records.  Blue Mesa Reservoir in Gunnison County has a few wintering ducks.  Montrose County has only one record.  Ouray County has only, this last week, come up with one record by DG and BH.  Several counties have never had a record; San Miguel, Dolores, San Juan, Hinsdale, Saguache, Mineral and Archuleta.  Pastorius has had ducks and a possible hybrid.  Montezuma has a couple of records.
      Due to the concentration of winter records around the Flat Tops it is almost certain most of our Barrow's Goldeneyes are local ducks and are not long range migrants which would show up all over western Colorado.  Don't be afraid to jump in if you think my logic is faulty.
      Do go to Miramonte today via Dry Creek Basin.  The reservoir is freezing over but did find one Common Loon, Pied-billed, Eared and Western Grebes and most common ducks including 30 plus Common Goldeneyes.  In Dry Creek Basin there was on Northern Shrike.  In Nucla the best bird was a Say's Phoebe.
      Good birding,

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic