5492Spring Park Resvr, Barrow's Goldeneyes, Snowmass Rosy Finches, etc

  • Dick Filby
    Apr 7, 2011

      Hi all,

      Visited Spring Park Reservoir, Eagle Co, this morning – glorious conditions – thanks to Linda for taking us in..

      It is now 100% ice-free

      Highlights included

      35+ Barrow’s Goldeneyes

      2 Common Loons

      1 Ring-billed Gull (yep – any gull is still a highlight round here at this time of year – or indeed any time of year!)

      1 Greater Yellowlegs – first (shorebird) of year at Spring Park

      Other birds included many ducks, but no swallows, or grebes or any other shorebirds – tho’ there is lots of lovely mud still..

      At home today we still have our two Lincoln’s Sparrows and were again visited by Pinyon Jays

      At Snowmass ski area, Pitkin Co, yesterday, Wednesday, on my last  bird tour of the season we had a couple of hundred Rosy Finches, of all three species: Brown-capped, Gray-crowned (of both forms) and Black.  No Pygmy Owl this week!  We did have a migrant Osprey heading northwest high overhead at 10:55am whilst we were stood at 10,600ft. I estimate the bird was flying at well over 11,000ft. Next winter I plan to offer these free bird tours again, on Wednesdays, when I am in town.  Big thanks are due to the Aspen skico for all their help and support of this great program, helping the public appreciate the great birdlife of the Rockies.  It worked really well this year in combination with the Forest Service banding program which also ran on Wednesdays.  Come visit us next year!

      I just saw on the NOAA website that they are expecting another significant snowstorm this weekend in the mountains at least.

      Good birding all

      Dick Filby

      Carbondale, Garfield Co.