4986Toward a Checklist for Western Colorado

    Sep 2, 2010

    Coen ’s “First Supplement to the Birds of Western Colorado” (posted on WSBN in May of this year) added 21 species to our west slope list of avifauna since publication of Birds of Western Colorado Plateau and Mesa Country (BOWC), Righter, et al., 2004.  The attached excel file is my attempt to incorporate both BOWC and Coen ’s First Supplement into a bird checklist for western Colorado (west of the Continental Divide).  I am utilizing status and abundance codes, by season, as they are typically defined for birding purposes, e.g., summer (SU) is June-July, fall (FA) is August-November, etc, and my intention is to have this checklist track closely with Coen ’s written accounts.  Hopefully, the attached file can be printed locally from your computer on 8.5” x 14” paper, double-sided, and folded into a checklist that is usable in the field.  When printing, you might want to omit the footer, since it’s mainly for my use.

    This checklist should be current, but it’s a work in progress and I am still cross-checking several files for errors and omissions.  I welcome your feedback – comments, improvements, corrections, whatever!

    Sincere thanks,

    Larry