4636Carbondale area birds today, Friday

  • Dick Filby
    Apr 30 11:12 PM
      Hi all,

      The ongoing storm tempted me out again this afternoon, and I found a good variety of birds. Highlights included Red-necked Phalarope at Spring Park, and three species of warbler along with a Gray Flycatcher and Hermit Thrush all in the same stand of trees in Glenwood Springs.

      Blue Lake, El Jebel
      7 Eared Grebes (way down from 54 yesterday)

      Spring Park Reservoir
      3 Common Loons
      100+ Eared Grebes
      40+ Barrow's Goldeneye
      Many 100's of other ducks
      1 Red-necked Phalarope
      3+ Wilson's Phalaropes
      12+Willets
      1 Bonaparte's Gull
      2+ Franklin's Gulls
      c10 Ring-billed Gulls
      1000's of swallows (all seemed to be Tree Swallows but I didn't check every one!

      1 Chipping Sparrow

      Silt : island in Colorado River on eastside of CR331 (with Tom McConnell)
      1 Peregrine
      100's of Tree Swallows
      10's of Cliff Swallows,
      singles of Tree, Bank and Northern Roughwings
      Western Kingbird
      several House Wrens

      Mamm Creek gravel pits (with Tom McConnell)
      c100 Eared Grebes
      1 Vesper Sparrow

      Veltus Park (Glenwood Springs)
      1 Gray Flycatcher