4468Red-breasted Merganser, Bonaparte's Gull, Violet-green Swallow

    Apr 1, 2010
      Went to the Nucla Town Reservoir this AM to check on the Common Loon. Much to my surprise not only was the loon present but two pair of Red-breasted Mergansers and one Bonaparte's Gull. Most common duck species are also present.
      At the Nucla sewer were a few swallows feeding low over the ponds. Upon a close inspection of the Tree Swallows there was one Violet-green Swallow. This is a record early date for the species, breaking the old record of 2 April. There is some sort of work being done to Calamity Creek on the south side of the lagoons so most ducks have been scared off except on the weekends.
      I expect few record early dates this spring. A wet Arizona and a snowy Colorado may just put birds back into a normal migration pattern.
      Coen and Brenda