      Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 12:50 PM
      Subject: Fwd: Short-eared Owl out blitz the Rustys

      This is the same place we were yesterday, so I'm certain this is what we saw as well.  There were dozens of them, everywhere you looked.  The Charlie referenced in the email is the President of the Greater Ozarks Audubon Society and also the one who tipped me off to the Painted Buntings.  We'll have to hook up with him to go birding one day when you guys are here this spring.

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Dot Powell" <dotpwll@...>
      Date: February 1, 2010 8:33:03 AM CST
      To: <annsnotepad@...>, "Ann Bagley" <norbannbagley@...>, "Leslie Carrier" <rlcarrier@...>
      Subject: FW: Short-eared Owl out blitz the Rustys

      I left for the Lockwood today as a participant in the Rusty Blackbird blitz.  Not nary a Rusty, but I had a life time experience with Short-eared Owls.  I will keep it short, and report sometime tomorrow, however conservatively I viewed 125+ Short-eared Owls today.  Starting on County Hwy EE about a mile west of Hwy 97.  I spotted 50+ concentrated in this area.  I had Short-eared Owls at Shelton Prairie, Niawathe Prairie, an un-named prairie a couple of miles SW from Niawathe, Horse Creek Prairie, and believe it or not had three at Bois D'Arc, my first experience ever for Bois D'Arc.  I will break up sending some pictures, as usual, not a Kay, Bob, or Marvin, but you will get the idea.  The better of my cameras was battery dead, and once again, I got caught without extra batteries for it.  But I did fairly well with my little quick shot that I use with my scope.

      Charley