4090Connected Lakes

    Nov 1, 2009

      A quick (hyperventilating) bike ride thru subject area this morning yielded hooded merganser 2, western grebe 2, greater yellowlegs 1, and bald eagle 1.

      In our Redlands yard over the last few days we have had a good showing of 28 species, but nothing unexpected for this time of year.  Our LOD for hummingbirds was 15 October, when we had two black-chins.

      RFI – yesterday I posted a link to a Science News article about bird migration, which summarized a paper published October 29 in Nature:

      http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/48895/description/Birds_eyes%2C_not_beaks%2C_sense_magnetic_fields

      I neglected to add that I welcome anyone to share with me papers on bird migration, e.g., links regarding current research on this subject, since it is one of my favorite topics for study.  IOW, please take note: if you see anything interesting about bird migration, please copy Larry Arnold.  =)

      Sincere thanks!