3878Rufous Hummingbird Invasion - Gunnison County

  • Jacob C. Cooper
    Jul 19, 2009
      Hi all,

      While doing some atlasing above Crested Butte, Gunnison County on Schofield Pass, I had over a dozen Rufous Hummingbirds fighting over the meadows on the south side of the pass. I have never had this great of a concentration away from a feeder before in Western Colorado. Rufous Hummingbird is my fourteenth species of Hummingbird in the United States this year, surprisingly.

      Some other good birds in the area were Sooty Fox Sparrow, a family trio of Red-naped Sapsuckers, a drumming Williamson's Sapsucker, and a couple Pine Grosbeaks. By far the most exciting thing, though, was watching my spare tire roll down a hill and bounce twelve feet into the air before floating down a creek. Luckily, I had some dry clothes to change into....

      Good birding!

      --
      Jacob Cooper
      Mesa County