3796Lesser Nighthawks near Nucla

    May 31 8:35 PM
      Tonight I tried again to find nighthawks at the Nucla sewer ponds. I was not disappointed as there were a few dozen nighthawks feeding along the creek just west of the ponds. Present were at least one female and one male Lesser Nighthawks. May have been more but there were several Common Nighthawks present which complicates determining numbers. I feel quite certain that Lesser Nighthawks must be nesting somewhere in southwestern Colorado and maybe near Nucla. However, it is much easier to make this statement than it is to prove it.
      On the sewer ponds was a drake Wood Duck.
      Good way to end the month,
      Coen