3438Female Williamson's Sapsucker (probable) --Black Canyon--Montrose Co.

  • kirsten_mcgough
    Mar 1, 2009
      Out on a drive with Dad this morning to the Tomichi Point overlook.

      The female Williamson's is new to me. She was easily visible with my
      binoculars, and I knew it couldn't possibly be a Gila Woodpecker
      which I saw regularly in Phoenix. In observing her I noted no head
      markings, shorter bill than a Flicker, the black on the chest, and
      heavy streaking from neck to tail. No red coloration on this bird.
      I do believe this was a female Williamson's Sapsucker.

      Also at Tomichi:
      Townsend's Solitaire
      Female pine grosbeak
      A melodious singing bird, which I couldn't see.

      On the descent back to town:
      A few mountain bluebirds
      Crows and Ravens galore
      Golden Eagle.