2134Sandhill Crane migration

  • vsimmons76@netzero.net
    Nov 30, 2007

      Because of the reports from the Western Slope about migrating Sandhill Cranes during late November, I queried Bosque del Apache NWR (south of Albuquerque) about whether their arrivals are late this year. The response from the NWR was: "The sandhill cranes are arriving later this year. It could be possibly because of the warm weather. Past year's counts of cranes are on our Friend's website: http://www.friendsofthebosque.org." I looked it up and found a graph for cranes that shows 2002-2007 (through mid-November 2007). They also offered thanks to me for my mentioning what has been going on in western Colorado, so thanks really to you folks who have been reporting. Now I also am wondering how many of Colorado's far-western cranes might have been heading late to Arizona instead of to New Mexico, but someone else will have to look into that.

      Virginia Simmons, Del Norte