1736RE: [wsbn] Mesa Cty Sandhills and Least Flycatcher(?)

  • Steve Bouricius
    Jun 14, 2007
      Nic and Rich,

      Here's a photo I took of one there on June 17, 2005, when doing an RMBO
      transect nearby. On June 20, I posted this comment to WSBN:

      "The bird was foraging in a meadow of tall grass next to the road,
      looking for mice maybe? Note the deep mud rust stain on this bird, a
      stark difference from the mostly gray birds seen in migration.

      The Birds of Western Colorado mentions that one or two Sandhill pairs
      nest in the Buzzard Creek drainage east of Collbran, which is where I
      saw this bird. It was about 1/2 mile east of the Vega Reservoir
      turnoff, on Road 330E, near an old broken down barn/house by the road.
      I was able to watch from about 60 feet, the closest I've ever been to a
      crane."

      Steve Bouricius
      Palisade
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic