1196Rosy Finches, Snowmass ski area, Pitkin Co

  • Dick Filby
    Nov 30, 2006
      Hi all,

      Visited Snowmass ski area briefly today, Thursday.. it was a tad cold!!  At the feeders at the top of Sam's Knob/Village Express Chairlifts there was a flock of 110 or more Rosy Finches mid afternoon, but they did not linger long enough for me to identify most of them.  The few that I did see properly were Brown-capped Rosy Finches.  Last season at this time the flock was predominantly Brown-caps.  Nearby at the water treatment plant there were 3 Common Goldeneyes (all drakes) and 3 Ring-necked Ducks (all drakes).

      At Blue Lake, El Jebel, Eagle County, at least 18 Barrow's Goldeneyes, but not a single Northern Shoveler today.  I met someone who said there was a swan species there yesterday (I figure it was likely the Tundra Swan from nearby Spring Park reservoir).

      Good birding
      Dick Filby
      Carbondale