1070Effectiveness of wsbn

    Oct 2, 2006

      I have added 12 species to my western slope list so far this year, and of these all but one were found and reported on wsbn by other birders.  Sincere thanks to all of you for reporting!

      I am now at 302 species, these being added this year:

      Yellow-billed loon – Highline SP

      Black-bellied plover – The one I found! en route to Connected Lakes

      Lesser black-backed gull – west Rifle gravel pits

      Lesser nighthawk – Nucla Town Reservoir

      Magnificent hummingbird – Purgatory (that name will always stick)

      Least flycatcher – Neversink

      Veery – TNC Yampa River Preserve

      Lucy’s warbler – confluence of Yellowjacket / Risley canyons

      Ovenbird – north of Mancos

      Hooded warbler – Confluence Park , Delta

      Summer tanager – heard at Lucy’s warbler site, confirmed by sightings reported by other birders, but not counted on my list until I actually see one

      Dickcissel – Jason Beason’s Sanctuary

      Hooded oriole – McElmo Creek location

      And I am comfortable admitting that several of these birds were easily beyond my ability, e.g., those silent non-passerines like the loon, nighthawk, and gull.  In other words, interaction on wsbn has been a fantastic learning experience for me in terms of bird identification!

      Larry

      West Slope Justice… wondering when Vic will preside over (um, chair) the CBRC?

      Oops, sorry?!