[ws100] Yet another 100 Mile Virgin

  • Kendall Kreft
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2000
      The year 2000 is my third year of running ultras of any distance. In
      1998, I ran one 50 miler (White River in Wash.state) and two 50k's,
      along with a marathon or two. In 1999, I ran two 50 milers, two 50k's,
      and two marathons (back to back on Thanksgiving weekend). Just for
      fun, I threw my hat in the Western States ring and was surprised to get
      in on the first try. I guess I'll see what I've gotten myself into.

      Like many, my weekly mileage is not too high. Last year I ran more
      than ever before and averaged just 32 miles per week. With my job, my
      wife working full time, and four kids, there just isn't enough time in
      my week to find 80 or 100 miles.

      My plan for training is to push hard on the lunch time 5-6 milers,
      using them as tempo runs and quasi speed work. On the weekends I hope
      to fit in at least one long run, with some weekends out on both days.
      Living in Washington, I can easily find hills to run on, the problem
      for me will be training for the heat. Right now, I'm just coming back
      from a tibial stress fracture and trying not to do too much too soon.
      Good luck to all and good training.

      Kendall Kreft