Revival of the WS 100 Site

  • Carl Pegels
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2000
      WS 100 Participants and Observers: I am amazed how little interest there
      is in this site. After all this is the WS 100 discussion Site, or are
      there other WS 100 sites that are more active than this one? In any
      event this is an attempt to reactivate it. Now that the entry forms have
      gone out, and now that we have received the official and detailed
      statistics we have something to discuss. As some of you may recall I
      proposed a more lenient time limit for 60+ runners because of the
      difficulty of finishing within the 30 hour limits. Most of you , I
      believe, considered it "sour grapes" on my part since I was one of the
      many drop out. After studying the detailed statistics I feel a little
      better about the point I tried to make back at the end of June, just
      after the run. Of the 385 starters, 222 finished, equal to 57.5 %, a
      rather low percentage, especially since the cweather conditions were
      near ideal. Perhaps the good weather caused the speedsters to go out too
      fast, causing them to stumble around the half way point. More
      interesting statistics are the finishing rates of age groups. The
      finishing rate for the 60+ group was 25%, 5 out of 20 starters finished,
      and three of the 5 finishers were 60 years old; the other 2 were 62 and
      63 respectively. Hence the oldest finisher was 63; last years oldest
      finisher was 64. The finishing percentage for the 50-59 year age group
      was 44%, a not impressive figure. For the 49 and younger group the
      finishing percentage was about 66%. These finishing percentages were
      achieved, as I mentioned before, under near ideal conditions. Needless
      to say, one would hope that the WS Board, might at least consider
      relaxing the time limits for some of us older participants. I hope
      enough of you are still in contact with this site, and offer some
      comments. Happy running and start thinking about filling out that
      application for next year. Carl Pegels