Re: [ws100] review of WS100---2000 edition

  • Bruce Hoff
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
      Carl Pegels wrote:

      > I reached Michigan Bluff at 9:05,

      <stuff deleted>

      > I am 67 years old,

      Man! I hope I can run over 50 miles of rugged trail,
      when I'm 67! ;^)

      Seriously, I know the pangs of DNFing. Take heart
      that it'll pass, and you'll find an accomplishment which
      will make you feel good.

      Also, I wonder if being that age actually precludes finishing
      a 100 mile race. Older runners that I talk to say that age
      increases recovery time and takes away from their 'top end'
      speed, but I haven't heard anything about reducing endurance.

      You can certainly see many sexagenarians by perusing the
      race results in Ultrarunning. Of course, those results
      are mostly 50K and 50M. Maybe you can address the particular
      problem you have (frozen quad's, or whatever), overcome
      it, and reach your goal. Seek out other older runners,
      knowledgeable coaches, et al., to find out the particular
      pitfalls you have to deal with.

      Think positive!

      Bruce