[ws100] Another Newbie and training

  • Pete Petri
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2000
      Hi guys,

      Just joined up, so I thought I'd throw my $.02 in...

      WS will be my second attempt at the distance, first at WS. I had been
      trying to get in this race for several years, made it last year by
      the 2-time loser rule.

      Tried AC last September...pretty humbling experience, but also
      learned a few lessons about the distance. I trained harder for that
      run than ever in my life, averaging about 60 miles/week over the
      summer, with several 50+ mile runs. I was in the best shape of my
      life, but inexperience took me out....ran the downs a little too
      aggressively, and drank too much without taking in enough
      electrolytes, causing really bad cramping...my quads were dead by
      Chilao.

      I was pretty burned out after the training and the run, so took most
      of the fall off...almost didn't even send my entry in for WS. Hence,
      I'm getting a late start in training. My plan is something like this:

      Focus on long runs, strength and downhills (which I can best practice
      during long runs). I also am not a high mileage runner (gotta work
      for a living), so my mileage during the wek is pretty modest. Right
      now, hill repeats one night for strength (which will turn into 800
      repeats in March), one night 7-10 miles up tempo, and one easy night,
      6-10 miles. Right now, I'm spending Saturdays doing the 20-25 milers,
      then in March, throw in a couple 30-35 milers, a 50 and a few 30's in
      April, 100K and a few more 30's in May (including Memorial weekend),
      then we'll se how I feel in June.
      I live on the coast by Santa Cruz, CA, so heat training is hard to
      come by, but I'll head inland on the weekends and seek what heat I
      can find.

      Looking forward to finally tackling States, as I've paced here twice
      and worked No Hands Bridge twice...now it's my turn!

      Pete Petri
    • Lewis, Chuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2000
        Pete.....