[ws100] Re: Another First Timer

  • Lewis, Chuck
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2000
      Welcome Mark......
      Since you have read the previous posts, I won't back track, but like
      Andy.... I'm not much on running real long miles for training.... Even
      though I will get into 80, 90, & 100 mile weeks, my longest training run is
      23 miles during any given week. The only exception, some might argue, will
      be the 3 - 50 mile races I plan to enter. Some would count these as
      "training" runs, but to me they're actually races. They're like a biscuit,
      that little reward to keep me interested and excited about my training....
      While I'm not an author of any best seller's on running, I know what works
      for me. Keeping the runs shorter and faster, keeps me healthier in terms of
      both illness and injuries... recovery time appears to come much quicker and
      I make it to church on time too! (Although staying awake can sometime be a
      problem..)
      Last year was my first time at anything over 50 miles................. My
      hat's off to those grand prix contestants.... I personally didn't run much
      for nearly 2 months after Western last year.... That is possibly one
      negative side-effect to the shorter mileage approach that I take, but I'd
      rather do 1 race really well (personally speaking of course) than do several
      mediocre races....
      I do like half & 1 mile repeats for speed workouts when I train for
      marathons, but I have bumped it up to 3 mile repeats when training for
      Western. And..... since I do not personally take long tapers (2 weeks
      max)...... speed work-outs during this last phase of my training assists in
      this area.
      I thought that this forum last year was a great sounding board for all the
      first timers, including myself. But on post-race reflections, the best forum
      was actually the experience of the race itself....... As June gets closer,
      this discussion board's traffic will pick-up. A lot of good advice will be
      thrown out here, my only advice is to not deviate too much from what got you
      this far already...... It must work!
      Best of Luck!
      Chuck