[ws100] Another First Timer

  • Mark Evans
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2000
      Andy and Chuck,

      Since you are the only 2 on here I figure I might as well address my
      initial post to you. I'm a first time 100 miler. My previous long is
      the Laurel Highlands 70 miler (which really waxed me). Training plan
      is to do more long runs than I ever have. Every week, instead of every
      other week, up to and repeating 36 milers. 1 speed session (1 mile
      repeats) a week. 2 12 milers, ec. Probably I will work up to 80-90
      mile max weeks. I plan on doing all 3 days of the camp and am unsure
      how to fill the 5 weeks between the camp and the race so I don't go in
      too tired. I felt running Ice Age last year 4 weeks prior to Laurel
      Highlands may have hurt me even though I tried to do it slow.

      Mark
    • Lewis, Chuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2000
        Welcome Mark......
        Since you have read the previous posts, I won't back track, but like
        Andy.... I'm not much on running real long miles for training.... Even
        though I will get into 80, 90, & 100 mile weeks, my longest training run is
        23 miles during any given week. The only exception, some might argue, will
        be the 3 - 50 mile races I plan to enter. Some would count these as
        "training" runs, but to me they're actually races. They're like a biscuit,
        that little reward to keep me interested and excited about my training....
        While I'm not an author of any best seller's on running, I know what works
        for me. Keeping the runs shorter and faster, keeps me healthier in terms of
        both illness and injuries... recovery time appears to come much quicker and
        I make it to church on time too! (Although staying awake can sometime be a
        problem..)
        Last year was my first time at anything over 50 miles................. My
        hat's off to those grand prix contestants.... I personally didn't run much
        for nearly 2 months after Western last year.... That is possibly one
        negative side-effect to the shorter mileage approach that I take, but I'd
        rather do 1 race really well (personally speaking of course) than do several
        mediocre races....
        I do like half & 1 mile repeats for speed workouts when I train for
        marathons, but I have bumped it up to 3 mile repeats when training for
        Western. And..... since I do not personally take long tapers (2 weeks
        max)...... speed work-outs during this last phase of my training assists in
        this area.
        I thought that this forum last year was a great sounding board for all the
        first timers, including myself. But on post-race reflections, the best forum
        was actually the experience of the race itself....... As June gets closer,
        this discussion board's traffic will pick-up. A lot of good advice will be
        thrown out here, my only advice is to not deviate too much from what got you
        this far already...... It must work!
        Best of Luck!
        Chuck