training camp

  • Marge & Nick Burley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2000
      I had a great time at the training camp last weekend. It was well organized
      and the food was good and there was plenty of it.

      I also want to warn you of the leaves on the switchback trails down from
      Devil's Thumb and Michigan Bluff. The leaves were very slippery. The
      weather was warm and I know it will be warmer on race day. After the first
      day I took 3 bottles 2 on my back and 1 in my hand. I use sports drink in
      the two and water in the one to cut the taste of the stuff. It gets a
      little old after a while. I am from the east and found the trails were not
      so different. We have a lot of roots and big rocks in the soil. These were
      mostly loose rocks with leaves and dust. The down hills were hard on your
      quads as you have heard before. I am not a down hiller so I just got out of
      the way. I loved the climbs and the canyons. You are in and out of the sun
      so a hat with something to cover you neck or one of those scarves you can
      wet and will stay cold is really important.

      I'm really glad I went to the camp. I was a little frightened by the
      course, but now I'm not so scared. It is to be respected. Take it easy in
      the heat.

      Marge Burley